Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.
1st Time Camper Packing List
- Tent (get a 4 man tent for 2 people, a 6 man tent for 3 people, etc.)
- Ground cloth/tarp (for under the tent to protect the bottom and keep moisture out)
- Camp Chairs (one per person)
- Plastic trash bags (good for wet or dirty gear when going home)
- Pocket Knife (Only Bears & Webelos may use pocket knives if they have earned their Whittlin’ Chip and have it in their possession)
- Sleeping bags (2-3 blankets/sheets are an alternative if you don’t have a sleeping bag)
- Pillow (the extra clothes you bring stuffed into a pillowcase works too!)
- Sleeping pad (Thermarest or closed cell foam is preferred over an air mattress in the winter. A regular air mattress will make you colder)
- Flashlight or Headlamp
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Toilet Paper or Bio Wipes (trust me, this is one area you never want to be unprepared!)
- Environmentally Friendly Soap & Shampoo
- Other Toiletries
- Medicines (parents should ensure leaders are aware and the medicine is properly stored and secured per BSA policies).
- First Aid Kit (Each Scout is required to have one in his backpack as part of the Cub Scout 6 Essentials)
- Field (Blue or Tan Class A) uniform- Scouts should wear this traveling to and from camp and will wear it to the closing campfire program
- Activity (Red Pack T-Shirt Class B) uniform- Scouts will typically wear this during the day on Saturday
- Scout Uniform or Blue/Khaki Shorts and/or Pants
- Wilderness Rain Gear such as a poncho or rain jacket/suit (as a wise Scoutmaster once said, it never ever rains on Scouts….only the unprepared!)- a large trash bag with holes cut out for head and arms is a cheap alternative!
- Shoes or boots (for safety, no open toed shoes!)
- Scout Socks
- Cub Scout Hat
- Water Bottle- Pack 70 practices Leave No Trace, we prefer a water bottle you can refill
- Mess Kit- plates, bowls, cups-for cold drinks, forks, spoons, knifes are provided. If you want a hot drink please bring a proper cup.
Miscellaneous Recommended Items
- Sunscreen & Bug Spray
- Trail Snacks (Pack typically will provide 3 meals on Saturday)
- Ear Plugs (to deal with snorers)
- Rainy day activities (deck of cards, games, etc)
- Your Scout’s Rank Book
- A Whistle (for emergency use only)